October 24th, 2018
Earlier this week on the Oakeley blog we delved into the watery world of some of Wales’ most beautiful waterfalls. And today we’re taking a closer look at some of the magnificent waterfalls of Snowdonia, and wow, are there plenty to choose from!
Wales is a mountainous country with a wet climate and so is home to hundreds of waterfalls. Some are popular visitor attractions, many are celebrated in legend whilst others are relatively unknown. Here are our favourite Waterfalls of Snowdonia. Why not go and visit one or two this weekend?
- Aber Falls (Rhaeadr Fawr) – Abergwyngregyn
- Arthog Falls, Arthog, near Barmouth
- Conwy Falls (Rhaeadr y Graig Lwyd), Penmachno, Conwy
- Cyfyng Falls, near Capel Curig
- Fairy Falls (Rhaeadr Tylwyth Teg), Trefriw,
- Pistyll Cain, Coed y Brenin, Dolgellau
- Rhaeader Mawwdach, Coed y Brenin, Dolgellau
- Pistyll y Llyn, Cambrian Mountains, Powys
- Rhaeadr Cynfal, Llan Ffestiniog
- Rhaeadr Du, Maentwrog
- Swallow Falls (Rhaeadr Ewynnol), Betws y Coed
But, just how do the waterfalls of Wales compare to the rest of the world?
Waterfalls of the World
- Angel Falls, Venezuela is the world’s tallest waterfall at a whopping 3,212 feet (that’s as tall as Snowdon!)
- Eas a Chual Aluinn in Scotland is the UK’s tallest waterfall. It measures 660 feet.
- Cascata delle Marmore in Italy is the world’s tallest manmade waterfall at 541 feet.
- Iguazu Falls is one of the world’s most famous series of waterfalls. It sits on part of the border between Argentina and Brazil.
- Victoria Falls on the border of Zimbabwe and Zambia are known as the world’s largest waterfalls. It isn’t the tallest or widest, but in total, it claims to form the largest sheet of falling water in the world.
- Niagara Falls are perhaps the most iconic waterfall. The falls, on the American and Canadian border, aren’t particularly high, but they are among the most powerful waterfalls in the world.
- Venta Rapid falls in Latvia are Europe’s widest falls. It measures almost 900 feet when the river Venta is in full spate. But it has a drop of only 7 feet.