May 9th, 2018
“Not very long ago” goes the story of Ivor the Engine, “in the top left-hand corner of Wales, there was a railway. It wasn’t a very long railway or a very important railway, but it was called The Merioneth and Llantisilly Rail Traction Company Limited, and it was all there was.”
Ivor the Engine was one of the most loved children’s television series of a generation. Its creator Oliver Postgate was said to be inspired by the dozens of historic steam railways that wind their way through the hills and along the shores of Wales.
And here in beautiful Snowdonia, you’ll be spoilt for choice in terms of classic train lines, and a journey on board a narrow gauge railway is one of the finest ways to appreciate the stunning scenery!
Here’s our pick of the Heritage Railway Lines of Snowdonia – you won’t be disappointed with a visit to any of them!
- Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways – this stunning railway is one of the most famous narrow gauge railways in the world – it’s the world’s oldest independent railway! The line goes all the way from Blaenau Ffestiniog through to Porthmadog and then on to the northern coast at Caernarfon.
- Bala Lake Railway – the railway offers a delightful 9 mile return journey by narrow gauge steam train along the shores of Wales’ largest natural lake.
- Corris Steam Railway – dating back to the 1850s, the line was initially built as a horse-and-gravity worked tramroad to carry slate from the quarries of Corris Uchaf and Aberllefenni.
- Fairbourne Railway – superb views of Cadair Idris mountain range and Mawddach Estuary on this wonderful 12 and 1/4 gauge track.
- Llanberis Lake Railway – a 5 mile trip alongside one of Snowdonia’s most iconic lake. Take a trip back in time to an age when the grey slate was king.
- Talyllyn Railway – Experience the nostalgia of historic steam trains in some of Wales’ finest countryside. The railway starts on the coast at Tywyn and snakes through the stunning foothills of Cader Idris.
- Snowdon Mountain Railway – take the weight off your feet and let one of the most iconic trains in Wales take you up into the rooftops of Wales.
- Vale of Rheidol Railway – a stunning journey through the dramatic scenery of Mid Wales.