September 6th, 2018
Earlier this week on the Oakeley blog we posted about the stunning Autumnal forest colours that are soon to be in abundance all over Snowdonia. And today we’ve got a wonderful walk for you, to explore the very best of this wonderful time of year – right here from the Oakeley Arms. And when you’re done, why not pop back in to see us for a well-earned drink, lunch, dinner, tea, cake, pudding (or all of the above!).
You could combine it with a trip on the Ffestiniog Railway It’s a fabulous Llyn Mair Autumn Walk.
- Leave the hotel and turn right, heading up the hill. Follow this (sorry it’s steep!) as it eventually reaches the lake side. Contine along the side of the lake, until you come to a car parking area on the right, and on the left you’ll see a wooden gate leading to a lake-side picnic area. Go through the gate and follow the path as it bends round to the right.
- Shortly, go through the next gate to continue along the path. At way-marker #26, bear left downhill and continue, to cross a footbridge. Go through gap in the wall and bear left to follow the path. Go over two small footbridges and stay on the path as it winds around the lake edge.
- Eventually, at a fork, and way-marker #10, turn right here and head up the track. At a sharp left corner, stay ahead and go through/pass by a wooden gate. At way-marker #8, bear right.
- At the top of a small hill and way-marker #28, turn right. At the next junction (with way-marker #27 on your right) turn left. Go through/past a wooden gate, and then another to return to the lakeside picnic area. Turn right to re-trace your steps back down the hill.
- To explore the railway station, go back to the road, cross it and into the car parking area. Cross the footbridge and follow the steep slate-gravel path uphill. This will take you through the woods to the station.
- An alternative walk – at point 3 above (way-marker #10) go straight ahead. At way-marker #11 turn right and follow the path. At way-marker #12, keep ahead again, and the path will eventually bring you out on the drive for Plas Tan-y-Bwlch. Some of the house is open to the public – check with our staff and they will be able to give you more details. Turn left at the drive and follow it all the way back to the Oakeley.
Now you deserve a drink!! Happy walking!